Students accused of assaulting local man escape prosecution

A man who was assaulted by a group of men he identifies as students of the University of Exeter has been told by the justice system that no charges will be brought to those responsible.

Gary Walden has been told by the Crown Prosecution Service that there is not enough evidence to prosecute, following an assault he attained on a night out last November. Mr. Walden was attacked by a group of five men he identified as University of Exeter students, sustaining a fractured cheekbone and cuts and bruises across his face that required two days of hospital treatment.

A photo was published to Facebook on April 1 by Mr. Walden depicting his injuries in a plea to help identify those responsible, after he had been advised by Devon and Cornwall Police not to post the image on social networking sites. In a statement alongside the photograph Mr. Walden registered his disgust with the judgement from the Crown Prosecution Service, saying “the five lads walked free after doing this to me so they can do it again to someone else.”

Mr. Walden asserts he was knocked to the ground, being punched and kicked repeatedly after he tried to defend his girlfriend, as the group had urinated in front of her and knocked her to the ground.

The incident occurred outside Timepiece nightclub and the perpetrators of the assault are still to be charged.

Advertisements

Author: Louis Doré

Freelance Journalist studying at City University, London on MA Newspaper Journalism.

Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s